Thursday, January 24, 2008

Bringin' The Sexy (Grits) Back

I also posted this on Eating Tampa, but I have such a fondness for Grits, I had to share it with all of you, too.

I am Southern girl, we all know this; however, I could not stand Grits as a child. Due to my hatred for Grits, I ignored the various uses Grits may provide. WWWHHHAAATTT????!!!!! A Southern girl who does not like Grits? I know, it’s strange. That is, until I was in New Orleans a few years ago (pre-Katrina) and found Mother's.
Every dish on the menu seems to come with Grits. So, I did as the natives did.

They were perfect. Heavenly (As was everything else there, don't leave New Orleans without going to Mother's.). Creamy, light, peppery, salty, buttery. Delicious. I am salivating just thinking about Mother’s amazing Grits. I became a Grit lover, as did my hubby (who had always thought Grits were repulsive). Immediately upon our return home, every breakfast we made was accompanied by Grits. Bacon, Eggs, and Grits. Sausage, Eggs, and Grits. Biscuits & Gravy and Grits. Grits were a breakfast food in our home, until a business trip landed me in Savannah, GA.

While there I had a little time and wanted to try out Paula Dean’s Lady & Sons’. Ever since I tried Michael Chiarello’s place, Tra Vigne, in St. Helena, CA (and found it to be amazingly bad), I have made it a piont to try the Food Network celebrity Chef spots while visiting said City, so that I may determine whether or not that Chef was truly a Chef or had slept with the right person to make a few Food Network bucks (I'm not hatin', I'm just sayin'). Paula Dean is an honest woman.

The food was fantastic and it was a buffet!!!! All foodie’s know, do not eat at buffets. The food will be mediocre at best and is undoubtedly not sanitary. Yet, somehow, Paula raised the bar for her Lunchtime buffet. It was filled with traditional Southern favorites, including Grits. One thing not on the buffet was Mashed Potatoes, yet there was a cauldron of Gravy? Surely, you are not supposed to replace the Mashed with Grits? Oh yes. That was the plan.

Sinfully good, buttery Grits with a perfect ladle sized bowl in the center molting with yummy gravy. Mmmmmmmmm. I was officially addicted.

The very night I returned home, I made my Hubby the bounty found in Savannah. To this day, he prefers Grits to Mashed Potatoes. Every Holiday, I make Grits instead of Potatoes. Every year someone moans, and every year the Grits are devoured.

I challenge you Tampa. Replace your boring Mashed Potatoes with creamy, buttery Grits. You can make small portions or large portions with the same amount of effort, it takes less than 7 minutes to make, and a 2lb bag will set you back $2. How can you go wrong!!!
I use Quaker’s Quit Grits. Here’s my simplistic recipe for the Grits, you add the Gravy.

Creamy Quick Grits
½ cup Quit Grits (5 minute cooking. NOT Instant)
1-cup Warm water
2 pinch Salt
1 pinch Pepper
1 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Cream Cheese
1 tbsp Sour Cream

Bring water to a boil. Add salt. Add Grits. Turn stove down to low, stir constantly for 1 minute. Turn heat to Low, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Check half way, to be sure you aren’t burning the bottom. Turn heat off if necessary. Cut heat off, add Butter, Cream Cheese, Pepper, & Sour Cream. Mix very well. Serve with any Gravy immediately.
*Add 1/2 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese to turn them into Cheese Grits.

Other Grits recipes:
Shrimp & Grits
Grits with Goat Cheese & Chives
Maverick Grits (Sausage, Shrimp)

No comments: