Monday, February 18, 2008

Robert Irvine's Demise?

Cross posted at The Urban Eater

My hat is tipped to Ben Montgomery and the folks over at the St Pete Times for uncovering the truth about Dinner Slightly Difficult, oh, I mean Dinner Impossible Food Network Star, Robert Irvine. Irvine was set to open, not one, but two restaurants in St Pete, Ooze and Schmooze.
You can read the full article here, but I would like to spotlight some of my favorite exerts:
"We went out one night and hit several restaurants," said Paul Guillaume, of Professional Restaurants in Sarasota. "He was flat-out rude. At one of the restaurants, he told the waiter, 'That was absolutely horrible! Get me the chef! What is this?'"

"Irvine's resume notes he has received a Five Star Diamond Award (not to be confused with AAA's five diamonds or Mobil's five stars) from the American Academy of Hospitality Sciences for several consecutive years. But as Radar magazine pointed out last year, the "academy" is housed in a Manhattan apartment, and recipients pay for the honor."

Walter Scheib (Executive Chef of The White House): "Irvine's ONLY connection with the White House is through the Navy Mess facility in the West Wing ... never in the period from 4/4/94 until 2/4/05 did he have ANYTHING to do with the preparation, planning, or service of any State Dinner or any other White House Executive Residence food function, public or private."

"It's almost like I'm being held hostage," Irvine said. "I get a pain in my gut any time I hear this woman's name." (Referring to St. Petersburg socialite Wendy LaTorre).

I can't comment on the man's ability to cook, I've never eaten his food. I did spot him last year during the Food & Wine Fest. It was at Beverly's, a little breakfast spot. I didn't pay attention to him, so I cannot comment on his behavior towards the staff. What I did notice was how very friendly he was with his Breakfast companion. An Barbie-like brunette. I cannot verify whether or not it was his wife.

I will say this; I wouldn't want to be on Wendy LaTorre's bad side.

I can't imagine that the man would still open the restaurants. This article isn't a little bit humiliating; it's out right, gloves off, spit in your face, caught with your pants around your ankles and a chicken in your hands, humiliating.

It will be interesting to see if Scripps Network (owns Food Network) cancels his show.

1 comment:

brown spots irvine said...

I was surprised they were being filmed this morning. Also specific similarities with the Japanese version in terms of how its products? Ed, how much food does actually eat referees on each plate? I guess you do not want to fill up early.