Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Reminiscing Cupcakes

Cross Posted at The Urban Eater

I’ve been seeing a lot about cupcakes in the news lately. They have apparently made a revival.
Funny, I never knew they left?
With that said, my cravings began to grab hold, but I just could not reason paying $30 for 12 cupcakes. I yearned to make a big beautiful batch of creamy, dreamy cupcakes. How could you not after seeing this perfect example?
Oh the lushes frosting and supple cake.
I have a found memory of my Mother making cupcakes for my kindergarten class. She pain stakingly made all 25 cupcakes from scratch and decorated each individual cupcake with every student’s name. Pink frosting for the girls with little red sugar hearts and Blue frosting for the boys with little blue sugar circles. The cake was chocolate and the frosting was a luscious butter cream.
We, the children, grabbed any cupcake we could find regardless of whose name was on it. I guess she didn’t think about whether or not kindergarteners could read their own name. It didn’t matter. The cupcakes were delicious and we loved her for them.
As I sat watching my morning news program, the urge grabbed a hold of me once again.
Most of us are not afforded with the time to bake from scratch. This does not mean we are bad people, we’re just busy. Were this a Sunday, it may be another story.
Making cupcakes from scratch is a worthy, worthy art. Making anything from scratch is notable; however, Time was not my friend today. So, I stared down Time and quietly but firmly stated, “I am making cupcakes.”
I call these cupcakes Love Muffins. They are part Black Forest, part Devil’s Food, and 100% addictive. I call them Love Muffins, because I put all of the goodies my Hubby and I so love in them.
The first bite reminded me of being a little girl, sitting on the steps of the playground, eating the Cupcakes my Mother had made a long time ago.
The Cream Cheese frosting swirls with the Cherries and the Chocolate cake is super moist and decadent, bursting with bits of Milk Chocolate and Toffee. Enjoy licking your fingers.

Love Muffins
1 Box Devil’s Food Cake Mix
3 Eggs
1 ¼ cup Water
½ cup Vegetable Oil
1 12oz bag Mini Milk Chocolate Morsels
1 10oz bag Toffee Chips
1 jar Cream Cheese Icing
1 block Cream Cheese
1 jar Cherry Pie Filling

Mix Cake Mix according to directions, minus ¼ cup water. You will use the eggs, water, and oil at this time according to package instructions. Mix in ½ cup Morsels, ½ cup Cherry Pie Filling and ½ cup Toffee Chips. Mix well. Insert paper Cupcake Cups into a greased muffin tin. Greasing the tin will allow you to remove the paper cups with ease. Fill paper cups to the top with Cake Mix. Bake according to Cake Mix directions, about 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1 hour or until completely cool. Don’t frost these babies to soon or your frosting will melt off.
In a clean bowl, mix Cream Cheese frosting, ½ block Cream Cheese, and 1/3 cup Cherry Pie Filling. Mix at high speed until completely incorporated. With a rubber spatula, generously frost each Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting. Place 1 whole cherry from Pie Filling onto each Cupcake.

By the way, I spent less than $5 to make 12 cupcakes.

No comments: