Saturday, December 22, 2007

Key Lime Pie For Christmas

Every year, my in-laws pack up their gigantic RV and head down to Florida for the Holidays. I feel like I won the in-law lottery when it comes to my hubby's folks. I genuinely enjoy their company. Because I love my in-laws so much, I like to spoil them with their favorite foods. One such food is my Key Lime Pie.
It's my father-in-laws favorite sweet treat. He's a self proclaimed Key Lime Pie aficionado and tells me mine is the best. I don't know if I can warrant that bragging right, but I do make it with a lot of love. Perhaps that's why it is so good.
This year, I'd like to share my Key Lime Pie recipe with all of you. Even if you are scared of the kitchen, you can make this pie. It's just that easy.
There's some controversy over whether a traditional Key Lime Pie should be baked. My recipe is a baked version. I like to air on the side of caution when it comes to feeding masses of people and raw egg yolk can be iffy for the digestive systems of less adventurous eaters. I also like to make fresh whipped cream instead of a meringue top. To me, less is more when it comes to this tart pie. Let the Key limes do the talking.
I hope you try out this puckeriffic little pie. Let me know how it goes.

Key Lime Pie

15 graham crackers, crushed
3 tablespoons sugar
¼ pound butter
4 large eggs, yolks only
14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
13 key limes, juiced
2 teaspoons lime zest
1 cup whipping cream

Preheat oven to 350°.
Mix the crackers, butter and 2 tbsp sugar together. Press into a 9” pie dish. Bake for 12 minutes until the pie shell is golden.
Meanwhile beat the egg yolks with an electric mixer until they lighten in color and thicken. About 4 minutes. Add the condensed milk and ¼ of the lime juice, and whisk until combined.
Add another ¼ of the lime juice and whisk until combined. Add the remaining lime juice and the lime zest. Mix to combine thoroughly.
Pour the lime mixture into the pie shell, and bake for 12 minutes.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
Whisk the whipping cream and 1-tablespoon confectioner’s sugar until it forms soft peaks. Serve Pie with a dollop of whipped cream.

1 comment:

Betty Carlson said...

Oh, how I love and miss Key Lime Pie! It sounds delicious...