Monday, October 29, 2007

The Lil' Publix That Could Not.....

I am in grocery stores more than the average American, because, well, it is my business to be. So, when it comes to buying food for my own home, I like to travel as little as possible, and get in and out as quickly as possible. My logical choice would be to hit up the little Publix off N. Nebraska Ave. Yet, I prefer to bypass it all together and go to the Sweetbay at the corner of MLK and Nebraska. Why? Because there is no such thing as a quick trip to the lil' Seminole Heights Publix, especially if it involves the assistance of any employee.
I've had very few good experiences here especially when it involves the deli. The employees have an air of "You want me to do something? You mean actually lift a finger?" I've actually looked at the deli employees before and said, "Just forget it. You obviously have other things to do than help me get lunch meat." This was of course after waiting for 7 minutes (I timed it) just to be asked, "Is someone helping you?” You would think the counter would have been slammed, right? Nope. There wasn't a soul at the counter, or the sub counter, or the fried food counter. Just little old me. There were 5 employees behind the counter. One was frying more food, one was bagging rotisserie chickens, one was talking to the employee frying food, one was walking back and forth with a complete blank stare, and one was sweeping while talking to the employee bagging rotisserie chickens.
Perhaps they just didn't notice me. Sure, it's hard to miss a 6'3 woman with white platinum blonde hair standing at the counter leaning over looking at each employee with a desperate expression of “Please Mister. Please help me.”
When I was asked “Is someone helping you?” I stated “No. Not yet.” This was the employee talking to the employee frying food. He sauntered over asked what I wanted. I gave him my order and asked if I could go around and shop and come back in just a few minutes. He nodded his head and said, “Yes. It will be ready when you return.”
I walked off to complete my shopping list and returned around 10 minutes later. I again had to wait for someone to help with my order, this time it was only 5 minutes. The gentleman who had assisted me, was now bagging more rotisserie chickens with the other employee, the employee frying food was still frying and the employee walking around with an aimless stare was still walking around with an aimless stare. This time the aimless stare employee asked if I needed help. “Yes, I said, I had left an order for lunch meat with that guy. I’m just picking it up.” She walked over to the gentleman who had originally assisted me. He walked back over to the slicer and began to continue to slice the meat I had ordered. The cheese had not even yet been opened. The woman returned and said “He’s slicing it now.”
Now, by this time a total of roughly 22 minutes had passed since I had walked up to the abandoned deli counter to order a ½ lb of turkey and a ½ lb of cheese. Had this been the first time, I may have been more patient. Had the other employees been doing any thing other than busy work, I may have been more patient. Had there been anyone other than me at the counter, I may have been more patient. But this was not the case. At all. Hence my reply of "Just forget it. You obviously have other things to do than help me get lunch meat." I walked away, deli meatless. I didn’t bother to complain to the manager because I have complained before and it hasn’t changed.
I’ve asked around and the general consensus is that go to the Lil’ Publix as long as you don’t need help with anything.
It’s the Lil’ Publix that can’t.

Negative 1 Possum
6001 N Nebraska Ave
Tampa, FL 33604-6855
Main: (813) 238-7720

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree; the deli counter @ the Nebraska Ave. Publix can be beyond maddening. One really had to have a serious pastrami jones going on if one is going to deal with that area of the store. However, I do love that little store...actually, I have a thing for small stores like that. I used to work in the grocery business in western New York, and I always love how creatively they use their limited space. Of course, most of them have disappeared by now - replaced by much bigger stores with way too much crap in them. This store is a throwback to the old days. (I'd venture a guess that it is the smallest store in the entire chain.) I appreciate this store in particular that despite being small, they are bringing in more and more organic products.

Michelle, you're a brave one! I went to that Sweetbay exactly one time in the almost 10 years of living in OSH.

Urban Eater said...

I too have a fondness for smaller stores. It's just so aggrevating. The store is fine, as long as you do not need any assistance.
The Sweetbay on MLK isn't that bad and they actually have a great produce selection. All of the employees have always been very nice and helpful. Not much for organic selections, but it is getting there. I see more and more every visit. I did some reseerch and Sweetbay supplies stores with local demand. If more of us shop there, the more organic and speciality items they will carry.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you writing again. I live in SESH and am often hungry.

Urban Eater said...

Thanks Anon! I'll keep it up this time.

Anonymous said...

I was in this Publix about a week ago and had ordered a cuban sandwich tray, there were about 4 people ahead of me, I counted 5 employees working, when it got down to the last 2 customers me and another woman, the service just stopped, one employee started inventoring the meat while the others just stood around after the continuos waiting I finally asked if someone could assist me. I asked the woman doing inventory if the customer was more important than what she was doing, the woman made a sarcastic comment and continued doing what she was doing. I stood in the line over 20 minutes. I don't know maybe Publix is receiving funds from somewhere other than it's customers and the employees.

Anonymous said...

I have found that time after time way too much is out of date in their dairy isles. When you bring them a pack of eggs that is a MONTH out of date or butter that is two months they just look at you as if to say "so"? I have had much better treatment and produce from the Sweetbay at Nebraska and MLK...evn if it is a bit "hoodie" at times. Their produce is much better!