Monday, May 29, 2006

Casa de Carnes.....

Funny someone should mention this one.....
I must admit I was a little leery pulling into the "Casa de Carnes" on Sunday. There were a few questionable gentlemen strolling about and the parking lot and exterior building seemed to have been neglected through the decades; but fear not I say. The best Mexican food I have ever eaten was from a little restaurant on the outskirts of Austin, TX. You needed a gun, sunglasses (I guess they thought the 10ft fluorescents scared the cockroaches), and your own fork. But I digress.
Upon entrance, my first impression was to turn around for fear of some strange food disease only found in remote parts of Borneo, but I kept thinking of my friend who "highly" recommended this market. "You just can't find a better deal in town,” he said. "The place is always clean and cheap, with quality meats". I trusted him. After all he was an Executive Chef, right?
My mission was simple, Country style pork ribs. Ya know, the big fat ones that can be smoked for hours.
As I approached the butcher's counter, three men greeted me. I scanned the case for the prize ribs and found my target only to be teased by seven lonely ribs. They had been cleaned out!!! I choose five out of the remnants. I examined each closely. They were cut a bit on the thin side for my taste, but the cuts were clean as was the meat (1.39lb). The butcher was also very patient with my demands as I smelled and examined the specimens, but handed me my bloody bag with the same gloved hand as he had used to pick the pork up with. I grabbed the bag with two fingers and decided to take a look at the packaged case. My friend was certainly right about the price! $5.49lb for Delmonicos? I couldn't believe it and almost bought five packages thinking there had been a pricing mistake. After all, they were Delmonicos!
My check out was quick and easy and I decided not to wander anymore.
House of Meats carried everything from meats to frozen fish to veggies and bread.
The Country style pork ribs were good, no weird food disease from Borneo, but nothing special. The meat was definitely NOT prime, but it was inexpensive and convenient.
My overall is that the owners are sitting on a gem, but they need to invest into the interior and exterior. I'll go back just for a second opinion. No possums on this one. I need to do more "research".
House of Meats
502 E Sligh Ave.

No comments: